The Sea Island Comprehensive Health Care Corporation (SICHCC) is a private, 501(c)3 corporation. Established in 1972, the Corporation is a comprehensive health care delivery program that provides services to a population in the western portion of Charleston County. The Corporation is comprised of a Nursing Home, Home Health Unit, Adult Day Care and the Johns Island Rural Housing Complex that contains 88 one and two bedroom apartment units for individuals and families with disabilities and elderly citizens.
The system of care is designed to accommodate, plan and initiate services dependent upon area need, meeting the multiple needs of individual clients, and ensuring client satisfaction by a community involved in its service delivery. The objectives of SICHCC are to administer to the needs of the island communities by promoting and providing health and human services such as:
- Home Health Services
- Care at Home Services
- Adult Day Care Services
- Johns Island Rural Housing
The Sea Island comprehensive Health Care Corporation is a community organization that develops and ensures provisions for accessible and affordable health and human services for residents of the five Sea Islands and surrounding communities.
- Established the Sea Island Community Development Fund, Inc. (SICDF) as a companion of the 501 c 3.
- Established the Johns Island Health Center, Sea Island Laboratory and the Sea Island Pharmacy.
- Established five congregate nutrition sites, home-delivered meal program and transportation services utilizing Title III funds under the Older Americans Act of the Social Security laws.
- Developed the Johns Island Rural Housing Complex for the elderly and disabled individuals.
- Opened a Community Services Division in the Yonges Island area assisted by a grant from W. K. Kellogg Foundation. Assumed operation of three child development centers previously operated by the South Carolina Department of Social Services in the Yonges and Edisto Island areas.
- SICHCC received a grant from the Bureau of Primary Health Care to perform a needs assessment for delivery of primary health care services to citizens of western Charleston and Colleton Counties.
- Received funding from the Bureau of Primary Health Care to initiate primary Health care services in Colleton County.
- Constructed a 44-bed wing at the Hermina Traeye Nursing Home that completed the capacity to 132 beds.
- Assumed operations of four (4) child development centers in Colleton County which were previously operated by the South Carolina Department of Social Services. These locations included Walterboro, Neyles, Jonesville and Cottageville.
- SICHCC purchased property in Hollywood and constructed a new 5,000 square feet child development center.
- Opened an Adult Day Care Center on Johns Island that provides a safe environment for loved ones to spend their days while family members are at work.